In macOS, you can set the default sorting behaviour for the Finder App, so that you do not need to manually change it for every folder in the system.
- First, open the Finder App.
- You can browse to the “View” section on the top menu and select “Show View Options”.
- OR right-click anywhere in the application and select “Show View Options”.
- Change the “Sort By” settings to your desired option.
- Remember to click “Use as Defaults” to save and apply the changes.
Occasionally, some folders, that have the old .DS_Store file, will not use the new settings. If that is the case, you can open the same View Options panel.
- Hold the Option key on the keyboard.
- The “Use as Defaults” button will become “Restore to Defaults”.
- Click the button to reset the folder’s sorting preferences.